Sunday, August 29, 2010

Elevators

Sigh. The elevators at my mother's senior living complex have to carry thousands of pounds every day, including the heavy motorized scooters driven around by disabled people. The buildings are around 30 years old, and probably built by graft and payoffs in the first place, and those elevator scare the beejeebers out of me. Mom lives on the 3rd floor and I do all her grocery shopping for her, so most of my visits there are solo. I come in on the ground floor and ride up to the third (top) level, and the elevators creak and shake and whine all the way up. There is an occasional CLUNK or even a whistling noise, and the little boxes shudder and seem to sway just a little. I'm almost always alone when I ride up (or down) and I never fail the think this will be the time. The cable will break and they'll haul my lifeless corpse out of the basement and say "She was more than Old Otis could handle!"

Worse, I wonder if three flights is enough to kill me. I'd hate to be alive and hear them say that.

2 comments:

  1. Perfect win/win solution - use the stairs. Free exercise and no scary elevator ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, believe it or not, the stairs from the first floor only go to the second, and have been gated off from the stairs to the third. It's a weird, probably illegal, situation. But I'm also dragging a wheelie cart filled with gatorade, and don't think I could presently manage this, particularly in the 100+ degrees of the stairwell.

    ReplyDelete